Upper Anvil for English Wheel

I want to make an English wheel. Since I have been here, I have seen only one. I want to make one, and make a nicer one than the one I saw. I found an old brake drum, and got some bearings.IMAG0188

I was able to go to where my friend Juan works and put it on his lathe. I took down the flange at the bottom and embiggened the opening so that it would accept the bearings.

 

I can’t figure out how to show these pictures in a better photo-mosaic. The picture shows the drum as it started, the second is in progress, and the third is my teacher, Juan.

IMAG0303

Finished product. Well, not finished but this gives an idea of what I have so far. I will have someone weld in some reinforcement for the open side of the drum, as my welding abilities are lacking. I hope to use this as an opportunity to practice but for the important stuff, I want someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Sorry about the photo quality.

I have been saving up material to use for the frame. Here are some pieces of a chassis that I bought for about $20.oo.

I have been cutting it up into manageable chunks so that I can have them welded together at a later date.

As for the lower anvils, I am going to try and make something like this when I get access to a lathe again.IMAG0346

This is a scrap of metal I got from a mechanic. I am going to clean it up and see what I can do with it. Maybe it won’t work but I’m ready for that.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s